Each year, the FAFSA Central Processing System selects approximately one-third of all FAFSA applications to be verified. This is how the US Department of Education assures accuracy when administrating financial aid.
You may have received notification that you have been chosen for verification on your Student Aid Report (SAR).
The university will ask you to provide documentation to confirm the information on your FAFSA. This includes a verification worksheet, tax documents, and it may include a copy of your tax return transcript. If you are a dependent student, UT will ask for a copy of your parents’ tax return transcript.
Transcripts provide taxpayers with a computer-created record of their tax return which includes most of the line-items filed with the IRS, including any accompanying forms and schedules. The return transcript does not reflect any changes the taxpayer, his/her representative, or the IRS made after the return was filed.
The IRS allows you to place orders online for tax return transcripts.
If you have questions about verification, contact a One Stop counselor.Order Tax Return Transcripts
Check Your Status
- Log into MyUTK with your Net ID and password.
- Under My Financials, click on TN Hope, SAP & Requirements.
- Review your outstanding requirements that must be resolved before awards are made or disbursed.
- Submit the required documentation to One Stop.
You must submit an official IRS TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT, (not an Account Transcript.) There are three ways to do this:
1) Request one electronically on the IRS website at www.irs.gov
- In the Tools section of the homepage, click “Get a Tax Transcript.” You can choose to get the transcript online or have it mailed to you.
- After you select your method of delivery, then choose “Return Transcript.”
2) Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts to request a Tax Return Transcript.
3) File Form 4506T-EZ
If you filed an Amended Return:
- Submit the IRS Tax Return Transcript (using one of the methods listed above), AND
- Submit a signed copy of Form 1040X showing the changes that were made to your tax return.
REMEMBER: Include your student ID number on your tax return transcript before you submit it.
NOTE: If you are applying for aid at other schools, please make a copy of your tax transcript for your records before you submit to us. We will not keep paper copies of any documents, and the IRS will currently only accommodate one request.
Frequently Asked Questions
You may mail or hand deliver the completed documentation to One Stop.
The University of Tennessee
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Mail Stop 0230
Knoxville, TN 37996-0230
When sending your documentation, please remember the following:
- Clearly identify that your information is being sent in reference to your verification.
- Send all documents at the same time.
- Remember to make photocopies for your records.
- Print your name and nine-digit student ID number on each page of the documents that you submit.
Each recipient who is selected must verify the accuracy of selected data elements reported on the FAFSA. You and/or your parent(s) must complete and sign the forms and submit all required documentation. Failure to submit all requested documentation will prevent awarding of your financial aid.
You do not have a choice. Your participation is mandatory. Your signature on the FAFSA signifies your agreement to provide proof of your application information. You will not be eligible for federal, state, or some institutional funds until the verification process is complete.