The verification process is essentially a double check of your FAFSA information. We need to collect certain documents to verify the information submitted on your FAFSA application. For the 2024 – 2025 school year, the priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is February 15, 2024.
If you have been selected, we will contact you via your UT email account, so please check it frequently. Don’t worry! We’re here to help you every step of the way.
WHY WAS I SELECTED?
Students who file a FAFSA can be randomly selected for verification by the US Department of Education. It is nothing to be worried about, but verification is something you must complete in order to receive financial aid. Our staff will help you through this process!
WHAT TO DO NEXT
VIEW AND SUBMIT YOUR REQUIREMENTS* BY JULY 1.
- Log in to your MyUTK account using your NetID and password.
- Click on “TN HOPE, SAP & Requirements” in the My Financial Information section to view your required documents.
- Read and follow instructions on this screen to submit the information needed.
- Completed verification worksheet available in your MyUTK account.
Do not leave any questions blank. Place a zero by questions that do not apply to your family financial information.
- 2021 IRS Tax Return Transcript for you and your parent(s)—available at irs.gov
Completed IRS data retrieval process for you and your parent(s)—available at fafsa.gov
If you are unable to use either of these methods, please provide a signed copy of your 2021 income tax return.
After you have turned in your documents and completed verification, you will be notified via your UT email account that you have an updated financial award with instructions on how to accept your award(s), loan(s), etc.
For those who are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA, we must have documentation to clarify tax information. You must submit an official IRS TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT (not an Account Transcript), a signed copy of the tax return, and/or the IRS Letter of Non-Filing. There are four ways to do this:
1. Request one on www.irs.gov
- In the Tools section of the homepage, click “Get a Tax Transcript.” You can choose to get the transcript/letter of non-filing online or have it mailed to you. The IRS no longer sends transcripts to third-party vendors/companies. The transcript will be sent to you, so please add your student ID number.
- After you select the method of delivery, then choose “Return Transcript.”
2. Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts to request a Tax Return Transcript.
3. File Form 4506T-EZ (Tax Transcripts)
- This is specifically for the IRS Tax Return Transcript. Please completely fill out the form and fax or mail to the IRS.
4. File Form 4506-T (IRS Letter of Non-Filing)
- Please make sure to check Box 7 to receive the IRS Letter of Non-Filing. Please completely fill out the form and fax or mail to the IRS
If you filed an Amended Return:
- Submit a signed copy of the original tax return or the IRS Tax Return Transcript (using one of the methods listed above), AND
- Submit a signed copy of Form 1040X showing the changes that were made to your tax return.
REMEMBER: Include your student ID number on your tax return transcript before you submit it.
NOTE: If you are applying for aid at other schools, please make a copy of your tax transcript for your records before you submit it to us. We will not keep paper copies of any documents, and the IRS will currently only accommodate one request.
Order Tax Return Transcripts
Frequently Asked Questions
The fastest and safest way to send documents is by directly uploading them online. Log in to your MyUTK account and locate the “My Financial Information” section then select “HOPE, SAP, and Requirements.” You will find specific directions for how to upload each document here.
You can also submit documents to One Stop Student Services in person, or by mail to:
The University of Tennessee
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Mail Stop 0230
Knoxville, TN 37996-0230
When sending your documentation, please remember:
- Clearly identify that your information is being sent in reference to your verification.
- Send all documents at the same time.
- Do not send original documents to UT. Send us copies.
- Print your name and nine-digit student ID number or Social Security Number on each page of the documents you submit.
July 1 is the priority deadline to submit your required documents and materials. Failure to submit all requested documentation will prevent awarding of your financial aid.
If you have been selected for verification, your participation is mandatory. Your signature on the FAFSA signifies your agreement to provide proof of your application information. You will not be eligible for federal, state, or some institutional funds until the verification process is complete.