Complete your FAFSA every year for aid eligibility!
To apply for grants, work–study, scholarships (including HOPE), and loans, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. Complete your FAFSA as soon as you can after the annual FAFSA October 1 open date, as some aid is limited!
- FAFSA opens on October 1.
- The annual priority deadline is February 1.
- UT’s federal school code is 003530.
All About the FAFSA FAFSA Help Video Library
Expected Family Contribution
The FAFSA calculates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is in the upper right corner of the Student Aid Report (SAR). You and your family can use the SAR to determine if your information has been recorded accurately. Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. The EFC is used to determine the type(s) and amount of aid you are eligible for under federal guidelines.
Do you need help reporting your parent information on the FAFSA? Check this guide from Federal Student Aid.
Transfer applicants must complete the scholarship segment of your admissions application to UT no later than July 1 for consideration. Upon admission to UT, you will receive a link that will direct you to the scholarship application.
Are you planning to transfer to UT in the middle of the academic year? Here are important steps to take:
- Ask your current school to cancel your financial aid for the rest of the year.
- Make sure UT is listed on your FAFSA application for the current academic year. Our school code is 003530.
- If you are a recipient of the Tennessee Student Assistance Award, HOPE Scholarship, and/or other funds from the Tennessee Lottery, visit Tennessee’s website to update your school information with the state.
If you have questions about academic college and departmental scholarships, contact a One Stop counselor.