Skip to content

Applying for Financial Aid

To apply for grants, work study, scholarships (including HOPE), and loans you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The annual priority deadline is February 15.

UT’s federal school code is 003530.

Take Me to the FAFSA

Expected Family Contribution

The FAFSA calculates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is in the upper right corner of the Student Aid Report (SAR). You and your family can use the SAR to determine if your information has been recorded accurately. Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. The EFC is used to determine the type(s) and amount of aid you are eligible for under federal guidelines.

Parent Information

If you need help reporting your parent information on the FAFSA, see this guide from Federal Student Aid.

Transfer Students

Transfer applicants must complete the scholarship segment of their admissions application to UT no later than April 1 for consideration.

See Available Scholarships

If you plan to transfer to UT in the middle of the academic year, here are some important things you should do:

  • Ask your current school to cancel your financial aid for the rest of the year.
  • Make sure that UT is listed on your FAFSA application for the current academic year. Our school code is 003530.
  • If you are a recipient of the Tennessee Student Assistance Award, HOPE Scholarship and/or other funds from the Tennessee Lottery, visit the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporate (TSAC) website to update your school information with the state.

If you have questions about academic college and departmental scholarships, contact a One Stop counselor.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

Report an accessibility barrier