Get guidance about funds from the federal government, the state of Tennessee, UT, or private scholarships.
Types of Aid
Learn how to keep your financial aid.
Find out what you need to provide to comply with a Tennessee law requiring proof of US citizenship or lawful presence if you apply for a scholarship, grant, loan, tuition or fee waiver, or other financial assistance that uses state funds.
Estimating Costs and Net Price Calculator
Estimate the costs of attending UT before applying for financial aid. These costs will vary by your program and level. Visit our Cost Estimates page to learn more.
Students interested in determining an estimate of their specifics costs after scholarships and grants can use UT’s Net Price Calculator.
Checking Your Status
On MyUTK, choose My Financials and select See Details next to Financial Aid Summary. If your aid is not applied to your account by the due date, you must enroll in a payment plan on MyUTK.
How Aid is Applied
Your aid may be applied toward fees and will be based on the total number of credit hours on your schedule.
Refunds from excess financial aid are delivered after the beginning of each term. These funds are not available until your enrollment is verified and university fees and charges are credited or paid.
Financial assistance must be used for immediate payment of all current term fees.
Financial aid recipients who withdraw from UT may be put into repayment for any disbursed financial aid. You are encouraged to notify a One Stop counselor before withdrawing from UT.
The Fine Print
You must meet the following requirements to receive financial aid:
- Be admitted into a degree-seeking program of study (Students in certificate programs do not qualify for federal student aid.)
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours each semester (Federal Pell Grant awards may be awarded for less than six hours of enrollment.)
- Have a valid social security number
- Be a citizen of the United States or eligible noncitizen
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
- Register with Selective Service (males only)
- Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a repayment from a federal grant overpayment
Additional Terms and Conditions that May Apply
- All awards are subject to change pending the availability of federal, state, and institutional funding and regulatory verification.
- Aid offers not accepted within twenty-one days are subject to cancellation.
- Cancelled aid awards will only be reinstated pending the availability of funds.
- Offered aid is based upon full-time enrollment (Undergraduate—tw hours, Graduate—nine hours).
- The Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship or HOPE Scholarship program is administered by the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC). TSAC determines student eligibility for the program based on the federal packaging criteria, which requires institutions to take into account all resources of assistance. HOPE recipients are responsible for being aware of all guidelines and information governing the program.
- Students who already have a degree may qualify for limited types of student loans.
- Aid will not be disbursed to students selected for participation in the Financial Aid Verification Program until all document requirements are satisfied.
- Students with federal or state drug convictions that occurred while receiving aid may be ineligible for financial aid.