Federal Work–Study is a need-based program. It allows eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students to earn part of their educational expenses by working part time. Recipients can be full-time or part-time students.
Federal Work-Study Awards
The Work-Study program awards UT students an average of $3,000 per year. The exact amount you receive is determined by your remaining need and how many hours you work. Work–Study students work less than 30 hours per week, based on your award amount and class schedule.
The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study, whenever possible.
You will earn $9.00/hour for on-campus positions and $13.50/hour for off-campus community services positions.
Your total work–study award depends on:
- When you apply
- Your level of financial need
- UT’s funding availability
Funds are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. To give yourself the best chance of receiving an award, it is recommend you submit your FAFSA before the priority deadline.
You would be paid biweekly, and the funds would be deposited directly into your bank account.
How Do I Find Out If I’m Eligible For Work-Study?
You can apply for a Work-Study award by completing your yearly FAFSA form. Be sure to answer “Yes” to the question in the FAFSA that asks if you are interested in student employment.
- UT’s federal school code is 003530.
- The priority deadline is January 15.
What Do I Do Once I’ve Been Awarded Work-Study?
If you’ve been awarded Work-Study, you would need to follow the next three steps.
- Accept Your Work-Study in your account MyUTK account.
- Review the list of IRS-approved documents and bring the original documents (photocopies will NOT be accepted) to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (116 Student Services Building).
- After you have accepted your award, you may begin to search and apply for jobs. Please note, however, that, although you will be able to apply for jobs, the positions’ supervisors won’t be able to hire you until you been successfully cleared and added to UT’s payroll system by the Human Resources department.
How Do I Keep My Work-Study?
In order to keep your Work-Study, you would need to continue to meet the requirements needed to be eligible for Financial Aid. You will also need to fill out a FAFSA form each year using the steps listed above to determine your continued eligibility.