Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Summer Financial Aid

Orange bar


To be eligible for summer aid, you must complete the FAFSA.

The 2023-24 FAFSA is the current financial aid application that must be completed for the summer 2024 semester. If you received aid during fall 2023/spring 2024, you already have a FAFSA on file for summer.

UT’s federal school code is 003530.

Go to the FAFSA     FAFSA Help

Orange bar

Viewing Your Eligibility

Once the FAFSA is complete and you have registered for classes, your financial aid eligibility for summer will be processed and viewable in MyUTK within two weeks.

Frequently Asked Questions

You must meet these requirements to receive financial aid for summer school, including the HOPE Scholarship:

You must be enrolled in at least six CPOS/degree-applicable credit hours to receive most forms of financial aid. Law students must be enrolled in three hours and graduate nursing students must be enrolled in five hours to be eligible for aid. Students who are determined to have summer Pell Grant eligibility can receive the grant if registered for at least one credit hour.

All students will be evaluated for Pell eligibility after they register for summer courses. If you were enrolled for full-time in fall and spring, you must be enrolled for six credit hours to be eligible for Summer Pell Grant. If you were a part-time student during the academic year, you may have eligibility for summer Pell Grant if enrolling in at least one credit hour.  Students who transferred to UT will be evaluated based on their enrollment and Pell Grant awards received at their previous institutions.  If you have questions about your specific situation, please contact One Stop.

Excess financial aid disbursements for summer are standard for all students, including those enrolled in mini-term hours. We are unable to disburse excess aid prior to the date established in our calendar.

If you want to take classes somewhere other than UT, please view One Stop’s information about consortium agreements.

Students who are going on a study abroad program need to complete the Study Abroad Summer Request form. Here is more information on the Study Abroad program and the summer form.

Full-time enrollment in the summer is considered twelve credit hours for undergraduate students and nine hours for graduate students. The number of credit hours from all sessions is combined to determine your enrollment status. Mini-term, first, full, second, and third session are considered in determining your status.

It is easy to cancel your summer aid. If you decide not to attend the summer term use your UT email address to email OneStop before the first day of class to cancel your summer aid. If you are already enrolled for summer, you must drop all courses in MyUTK prior to the first day of class to avoid charges on your account.

Any change in enrollment status can affect your aid for summer. Speak with a One Stop counselor before dropping any courses. If you drop courses after the first day of full/first session, you could be responsible for repaying financial aid to UT. You could also permanently lose the HOPE Scholarship. Once classes begin, HOPE Scholarship recipients should not drop courses or they may forfeit future HOPE eligibility.

Students who already have a bachelor’s degree may qualify for limited types of student loans. Nondegree students who are taking prerequisite courses to be admitted to a degree program at the University of Tennessee may be eligible for student loans, however a NonDegree Eligibility Appeal (found on the One Stop forms page) is required to determine eligibility.

UT Consortium Agreements

If you are taking classes at another institution in the summer, read about consortium agreement requirements to find out if you are eligible to receive financial aid to help cover those costs.