If you are not planning to return for the next fall or spring semester, you should inform UT. Officially notifying the university of your impending leave will allow us to provide you with valuable information that will assist you as you leave and prepare you for your return.
- If your leave from the university is due to a co-op opportunity arranged through the Office of Engineering Professional Practice or Career Services or a study abroad opportunity arranged through the Programs Abroad Office, you do not need to submit the leave notification.
- Not staying continuously enrolled could affect financial aid for future terms. Please contact One Stop for more information on how taking a leave could affect your ability to receive aid for future semesters.
How to Notify the University
Log into MyUTK and follow these steps:
- Click on Self-service Banner
- Click on Student
- Click on Registration
- Click on Leaving the University
- Answer all required questions and submit
Graduate or International Students
Contact one of the following offices to take leave:
|International Students (Graduate or Undergraduate)||Center for International Education
|Graduate Students||The Graduate School
|Veterinary Medicine||College of Veterinary Medicine
|Law Students||College of Law
|Student Athletes||Thorton Athletics Student Life Center
Your Next Steps
In order to avoid any charges, you must drop all your courses before the first day of class for the next semester. Log into MyUTK and click Add/Drop classes.
2. Residence Hall Check-out
- Is your residence hall on campus? Contact your hall director to complete your check-out.
- Do you live in a sorority or fraternity house? Contact your house corporation president and the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life.
- If you rent off campus, contact your landlord or leasing office.
3. Cancel Meal Plans
Contact UT Dining at email@example.com or 865-974-4111.
4. Financial Aid
- If you are attending another university, update your FAFSA to include the new school’s federal code.
- If you are a HOPE Scholarship recipient, visit tn.gov/collegepays to update your school with the state of Tennessee.
5. UT Email
All students keep your UT email address after you leave or graduate. If you choose not to use this account, you may forward your email to a personal account or have your UT account deleted. Call the OIT HelpDesk at 865-974-9900 for assistance with either option.
6. Address and Phone
If your permanent address or phone number changes, log in to MyUTK and update this in Self-Service Banner. It is your responsibility to keep your address and phone updated with UT. The university may have important documents to send after you leave.
7. VolCard Account
Call the VolCard Office at 865-974-3430 to start a refund if you are eligible.
8. Parking Services
Call Parking Services at 865-974-6031 to start a refund if you are eligible.
9. Admissions (optional)
If you do not attend during a fall or spring semester, you are required to apply for readmission to UT before you can register for the semester you plan to return.