Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Decode Your Financial Aid Offer

We know the information in your financial aid offer can be a lot to take in! This page will help give you a centralized location to understand your options and be in the best position to start your academic career on Rocky Top!

Selected for Verification?

We’re here to help you every step of the way! For more information about the verification process, visit

Confirm Your Enrollment

Next Steps

You’ve received your financial aid offer and are probably thinking: “now what?” Follow this step-by-step guide to make sure you’ve submitted everything needed to start this fall.

Accept your financial aid offer:

    • Log into your MyUTK account using your NetID and password.
    • Click on “Continue to MyUTK.”
    • Click on “Accept Aid Offer” in the “My Financial Information” section.
    • Select the 2023-24 aid year.
    • Read and follow the on-screen instructions to view and then accept or decline your offer.

If you haven’t already, confirm your enrollment! Pay your $250 enrollment deposit by May 1, 2023. The deposit is nonrefundable and nontransferable, but will be credited toward your first semester costs. Learn more at

For first-year* students only. Deadline is July 1, 2023. (We must receive this by July 1, so please send in advance!) Graduation date must be printed on your official transcript. Financial aid and scholarships may decrease, change, or not be available if these are not received or if there are inaccuracies. *This does not apply to transfer students.

If you applied for admission with test scores, they are needed by July 1, 2023 to confirm your financial aid eligibility. Financial aid and scholarships may increase, decrease, change, or not be available if these are not received or if there are inaccuracies.

Make UT Knoxville your first choice for the HOPE Scholarship in your TSAC portal in order to receive the most accurate estimate of state financial aid (HOPE, GAMS, etc.). For more information, visit the TSAC Student Portal.

Authorized users (parents, spouses, family, etc.) can talk to One Stop about financial aid offers, billing statements, payments, verification, and other outstanding requirements needed for payment due date. UT cannot share your financial records with third parties unless you give authorization. Learn more at

You can set up direct deposit for excess financial aid in your MyUTK account. For more information, visit

Understand Your Financial Aid Offer LetterFinancing Your UT Education Booklet

Back to top

Payment and Funding Options

There are other options available that can help alleviate your educational costs outside of the traditional scholarship and/or grant route of financial aid. Take a look at the list below for some potential funding opportunities.

Federal Work-Study is a need-based program that allows eligible students to earn money towards part of their educational expenses by working part-time in either an on-campus or a community service-based off-campus position.

The Work-Study program awards UT students an average of $3,000 per year. The exact amount you receive is determined by your remaining need and how many hours you work. Work–Study students work less than 30 hours per week, based on your award amount and class schedule.

You will earn $9.00/hour for on-campus positions and $13.50/hour for off-campus community services positions.

You can apply for a Work-Study award by completing your yearly FAFSA form. Be sure to answer “Yes” to the question in the FAFSA that asks if you are interested in student employment.

Visit for more information.

There are tremendous amounts of grants and/or scholarships offered outside of the university or the federal/state governments. Check out the Federal Student Aid’s website to see your options for researching and applying for external grants and/or scholarships.

UT’s Deferred Payment Plan lets you spread out payment for each semester’s charges into three installments. Under the plan, you pay 50 percent of the total semester charges plus a $30 service charge by the semester’s payment due date. After the first installment of 50 percent, two additional and equal installments (25 percent each) will be due over the next two month period.

To view a sample plan, visit

We encourage you to budget based on the financial aid listed in your letter, but the following are additional options you can research. For further information, please visit

Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans are administered by the US Department of Education. Both loan programs offer competitive interest rates, which are determined by federal law. Interest begins to accrue as soon as the loan disburses to your UT student account.

The Department of Education pays the interest on a Direct Subsidized Loan while you are in school and for the first six months after graduation or if you drop below half-time enrollment. For a Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you are responsible for paying all of the interest. You can choose to begin payment on your loans and their interest early with no penalty, or allow it to accrue and be added to the principal amount of your loan.

Parent PLUS Loans
PLUS Loans are unsubsidized loans for the parents of dependent students. These loans help pay for educational expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Visit for more information.

Private Loans Finder 

  • Alternative student loans are made through private lenders (for example, banks). These are not part of the federal loan program.
  • We encourage you to look into federal loan programs before applying for a private loan. If you are ineligible for federal loans or you have exhausted government sources, private loans can help offset the cost difference.

Visit the One Stop Loans page for more information.

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

We know you probably have questions related to your financial aid offer. Take a look at the list of questions below to see if we can answer them here. If you still have additional questions, please reach out to a helpful One Stop Counselor at!

For institutional scholarships, contact One Stop at

For departmental scholarships, contact the academic departments if these have not been added to your account by mid-July.

External scholarships will not appear on your financial aid offer and will only appear in your MyUTK once the scholarship is received and processed by the university.

If you are eligible for and have accepted your offer for Federal Work–Study in your MyUTK account, you will be contacted by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to begin the onboarding process. These funds are paid to students as a biweekly paycheck throughout the semester for hours worked. These funds do not pay directly toward your bill.

Both loans are administered by the US Department of Education and offer competitive interest rates, which are determined by federal law.

The Department of Education pays the interest on Direct Subsidized Loans while you are in school and for the first six months after graduation or if you drop below half-time enrollment.

You are responsible for paying all of the interest for Direct Unsubsidized Loans. You can choose to begin payment on your loans and their interest early with no penalty or allow it to accrue and be added to the principal amount of your loan.

We encourage you to budget based on the financial aid listed in your offer letter. Check out the Payment and Funding Options tab on this page, which explains  external funding options like Parent PLUS Loans and private loans.

The federal government requires you to complete entrance counseling to ensure that you understand the obligations of taking out a loan. You must also complete the Master Promissory Note—a legal document in which you promise to repay your federal student loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to your lender or loan holder.  If your parent applies for a Parent PLUS loan, your parent must complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note. In order to apply a loan to your UT bill, you must visit to complete the Master Promissory Note and Loan Entrance Counseling.

No! You can accept all or only a portion of your loans in MyUTK. We encourage you to be a responsible borrower and plan your budget around payment and repayment. You may accept only the fall or spring portions of your loan. If you accept both portions, the loan will be automatically split between your Fall and Spring semester.

You can set up direct deposit for excess financial aid in your MyUTK account. For more information, visit

The fastest and safest way to send documents is by directly uploading them online. Log in to your MyUTK account and locate the “My Financial Information” section then select “HOPE, SAP, and Requirements.” You will find specific directions for how to upload each document here.

You can also submit documents to One Stop Student Services in person, or by mail to:

The University of Tennessee
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Mail Stop 0230
Knoxville, TN 37996-0230

When sending your documentation, please remember:

  • Clearly identify that your information is being sent in reference to your verification.
  • Send all documents at the same time.
  • Do not send original documents to UT. Send us copies.
  • Print your name and nine-digit student ID number or Social Security Number on each page of the documents you submit.

If you have been selected for verification, your participation is mandatory. Your signature on the FAFSA signifies your agreement to provide proof of your application information. You will not be eligible for federal, state, or some institutional funds until the verification process is complete.

UT follows Course Program of Study (CPOS) regulations. CPOS is a federal requirement by the U.S. Department of Education mandating students will be eligible for their full federal or state financial aid as long as they take a minimum of 12 credit hours of eligible courses within the student’s declared major or minor program each semester. For more information on CPOS, please visit

Back to top

Helpful Resources

The resources below will help you make decisions related to financial aid and overall financial health, both while you are in college and once you’ve left our beautiful campus.

July 1, 2023:

  • Financial documents due.
    • Log in to your MyUTK and click on “TN HOPE, SAP & Requirements” in the My Financial Information section to view any required documents
  • Final high school transcript due
  • Official, verified ACT/SAT test scores due (if applied for admission with test scores)

Mid-July: Fall 2023 tuition and fees available to view in MyUTK Stay up-to-date with each term’s billing and payment dates and deadlines here. | | 865-974-1111

The helpful staff at One Stop can answer questions regarding Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid and Scholarships, University Registrar, and Bursar. One Stop staff are cross-trained and are truly a one-stop shop for your questions!

Please email One Stop at using your UT email account if any of the following conditions apply to you (the student):

  • Not attending the University of Tennessee, Knoxville;
  • Enrolled less than full-time for either term;
  • Attending for one term only;
  • A third-party (sponsor) is paying toward your tuition and fees;
  • Receiving additional funding, scholarships, or other resources not listed in this letter;
  • Changing your decision after you have accepted or declined the financial aid offer in MyUTK (after March 2022). |

The Center for Financial Wellness provides resources that educate and train students on how to overcome financial barriers by developing financial literacy, money management skills, and productive lifelong practices.

To protect your privacy, the university is restricted in what we can discuss with other people (i.e. not you) related to your personal information. However, you can designate certain people to be an Authorized User, which allows them to talk with the university about topics related to financial aid, billing statements, payments, verification, and other outstanding requirements needed.

You can designate someone as an Authorized User in your MyUTK account by selecting the “FERPA Financial Release Form” under the “Academic Support” menu.

Academic Common Market
UT is a member of the Academic Common Market, which enables out-of-state students to pursue college degrees at discounted, in-state tuition rates. More than 1,900 undergraduate and graduate degree programs are available through agreements among the states and schools.

If you have questions regarding Academic Common Market at the University of Tennessee, please contact

Veterans Benefits
Veterans may be eligible for educational benefits through numerous GI Bill programs.

Explore your options, apply for benefits, etc. through the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Discounts and Waivers to Attend UT
You may be able to take advantage of discounts and waivers available through UT and the state of Tennessee. Employee fee waivers are contingent on your pay status on the first day of classes each term.

If you work for a private employer, you may be eligible for discounted tuition or reimbursement. Please contact your employer’s Human Resources office for more information.

There are many factors that go into determining a student’s eligibility for a specific financial aid offer. One of these factors can be a student’s location of residency. If you have any questions over residency regulations, please refer to the Registrar’s Student Residency Classification page.

The financing plan provides a standardized financial aid offer so you can easily compare financial aid offers from other colleges.

You can view your UT financial plan in your MyUTK account in the Self-Service tab of the My Financial Information section.

Many families use loans in addition to other funding sources to help finance educational expenses, but we recognize there is a lot to consider when using loans. These tools will help shed light on repaying your loans.

Loan Simulator:

Need help with the financial aid lingo? Check out for a glossary of common financial terms and definitions.

Federal, state, and university regulations require financial aid recipients to show progress toward the completion of their degree. This policy, referred to as Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), must include a qualitative measure, such as a cumulative GPA, and a quantitative measure, such as a maximum time frame to complete a degree.

Back to top