UT offers several scholarships to international students, including the International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship (IUMS).
Students interested in applying for competitive scholarships at UT must apply for admission by November 1 for a fall entry term. If you are interested in the IUMS, you must apply for admission by June 1.
International Undergraduate Merit Scholarships (IUMS)
UT’s IUMS is a competitive award for freshman and transfer student applicants whose tuition is not supported by sponsorships from governments, organizations, or corporations. Students must not be eligible for US federally funded financial aid or in-state (resident) tuition. Students who are dual citizens and/or permanent residents are not eligible.
You must be an international student who:
- Is completing high school in a foreign country or in the United States OR
- Is entering UT directly from a foreign or US university OR
- Has completed (or is completing) an associate’s degree from an accredited US college
All eligible international undergraduates who are offered regular (non-conditional) admission are automatically considered. A separate scholarship application is not required. Applicants must be degree-seeking international students on a temporary student visa (B, F, H, L). Decisions are based on the content of the application for admission.
The award is $5,000–15,000 USD per year ($2,500–$7,500 USD per semester). It is renewable for freshmen for up to eight semesters or transfer students for up to four semesters.
- High school GPA of 3.5/4.0 for freshmen or 3.0/4.0 for transfer students as determined by UT and/or credential evaluation from a NACES accredited organization.
- TOEFL (iBT) 78 or higher, IELTS 6.5 or higher; ACT English or SAT critical reading scores will also be considered. For transfer students, a minimum grade of B on university-level equivalent of English composition 1 and 2 at a US college or university will also be considered.
- Other aspects of your admission application (recommendations, essays, activities) will also be considered.