Any student at UT can request to use a preferred first name they wish to be known by or identified by on campus. No legal documentation must be provided.
How Do I Update My Preferred Name?
To update your preferred name, simply follow the below steps:
- Log into your MyUTK using your NetID and password.
- Click on the “My Resources” drop down menu in the upper-right corner of the MyUTK home screen.
- Select “Change Preferred Name.”
- A new tab will open that takes you to a landing page where you can type in the correct preferred name.
- Once the preferred name has been entered, select “Update Preferred Name.” Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for the update to register throughout UT’s electronic systems.