Scheduling Academic Advising

Although there are required times for you to have conferences, UT encourages all students to consult with their advisors at any time.

Graduate Academic Advising

Graduate students should contact your departmental faculty to arrange an advising appointment. If you’re not accepted into a specific program, the assistant to the dean of graduate studies or the designee may act as your advisor. When the web registration system asks if you’ve discussed your program with your advisor, you must answer yes to continue with the registration process.

Undergraduate Academic Advising

Your Advisor

Your academic advisor is a department or college-based member of the faculty or staff. You’re assigned to an advisor based on your major or exploratory track. You meet with your advisor to discuss options for your curriculum as you work to reach your academic goals.

Advising centers and designated offices in each college advise most freshmen and sophomores. Faculty advisors, working closely with the advising centers, guide most advanced students. At all levels, campus-wide guidelines for good advising are supplemented by specific college standards, guidelines, and evaluation. For more information, go to UT’s Undergraduate Academic Advising guide.

Student Designations

When you apply to be admitted to UT, you’re asked to indicate whether you already have a preferred college.

If you don’t know which college or major you’re interested in, or if you’re trying to decide among majors that aren’t in a single college, you’re designated as a University Exploratory Student. This allows you to follow a track of courses that lets you explore options for majors and make progress toward graduation by completing general education courses.

If you’re deciding among one or more majors that are all offered by the same college, you’re designated as an Exploratory Student for that college. For example: Arts and Sciences Exploratory, Business Exploratory, etc.

When you’re an exploratory student, you follow a track of courses that allows you to explore major options and make progress toward graduation by completing general education courses.

All first-time, first-year students must transition out of the exploratory track into a major no later than the end of your fourth tracking semester (fall and spring semesters only). Transfer students with less than 45 hours of transferrable work who are admitted as exploratory students must transition out of the exploratory track into a major no later than the end of the second tracking semester. Transfer students with 45 hours or more of transferrable work must be admitted directly into a major.

The university’s 2014-15 revised exploratory students policy is available in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Requirements and Times for Meetings

Before enrolling for the first time at UT, all degree-seeking first-year students and transfer students are required to meet with an academic advisor. Readmitted students must also meet with an academic advisor before re-enrolling.

You’re required to meet with an advisor during each tracking semester (fall and spring) if:

  • You have earned fewer than 30 hours at UT Knoxville.
  • You’re following an exploratory track.
  • You’re identified as off track by uTrack.
  • You’re on academic probation.

All continuing students are required to schedule a meeting with an advisor during a designated term each year. The term is determined by whether your student ID number ends in an even digit or an odd digit. Even digit students meet with their advisor during fall semester. Odd digit students meet with their advisor during spring semester.

Your Degree Planning and Progress Report – Banner DARS

Banner DARS is currently only available for undergraduates.

The DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System) is an automated system that compares your completed coursework with the requirements for your degree. Your DARS report is available on MyUTK under Academic Resources. Since it uses your online student record, it has the most current information.

The system produces a progress report, or audit, which details the requirements you have met, along with your current GPA and the GPA needed for your major. It also lists the classes you need to take and how to complete your requirements.

A DARS report can evaluate different scenarios for you such as: earning a minor, getting a second degree, or changing the degree you’re seeking. It will also show you how your transfer classes apply toward your requirements.

DARS is designed for colleges, deans, advisors, and students to use as an advising tool and a way to check graduation requirements. However, final certification of degree requirements rests with the Registrar’s Office.

Stay on Track in Your Major – uTrack

uTrack is an academic monitoring system designed to help undergraduates graduate in four years by laying out a road map for your major. It outlines the courses and timeline required for your major and alerts you and your advisor if you get off track.

Your Responsibilities

As a UT student, you’re responsible for planning your education, selecting your classes, meeting the prerequisites, and following policies and procedures. Your advisor helps you plan, along with answering questions and assisting you if any issues come up during your studies.

More Information

The university’s 2014-15 revised academic advising policy is available in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Find An Academic Advisor in Your Area of Study:

You can schedule an appointment through the GradesFirst system on your MyUTK home page.

Advising Offices

College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
125 Morgan Hall

College of Architecture & Design
Student Services Center, 103B Art + Architecture Building

College of Arts & Sciences
313 Ayres Hall

College of Business Administration
338 Haslam Business Bldg.
Main office: 865-974-5096

College of Communication & Information
202 Communications Bldg.

College of Education, Health & Human Sciences
332 Bailey Education Complex

College of Engineering
202 Estabrook Hall

College of Nursing
203 Nursing Bldg.

College of Social Work
221 Henson Hall

University Exploratory (formerly Undecided)
The College of Arts & Sciences is your advising college.