New Students

Planning to Apply?

Apply as an Undergraduate
Watch our presentation for Freshman Orientation

You can create a Vol in Progress (VIP) account, which allows you to apply for admission and scholarships, schedule campus visits, register for events, get campus updates, and learn more about our programs.

If you’re a first-time freshman applicant who plans to apply to UT and other schools, you can use the Common Application.

Apply as a Graduate Student

A wide range of graduate programs leading to master’s and doctoral degrees is available.

You will apply through the Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions Office no matter which type of student you are. However, there are websites that give more assistance to some students such as international, military, and transfer.

Considering a Transfer?

Are you an undergraduate? The Undergraduate Admissions site has all the information and links you need.

Transfer Students Information

In-state Student or Out of State?

Find out if you qualify as an in-state student or an out-of-state student. The answer helps determine how much it costs for you to attend UT. The Registrar’s Office handles your residency classification. For more information, contact a classification officer.

Get Residency Information

Honors Students

Would you like to enhance and specialize your studies? UT offers several honors and scholars programs for selected undergraduates.

Find out about Honors and Scholars Programs

Learn about the Baker Scholars Program

Admitted Students

If you have problems setting up your e-mail or passwords, you can get help on the Are You New website.


After you’re admitted to UT as an undergraduate, the admissions website directs you to complete your next steps.

Admitted Undergraduates

Before Welcome Week you should:

Check your UT e-mail

  • The university sends notifications to your Volmail account. It’s important to develop a routine of checking it.

Pay Your Tuition and Fees

Financial Aid Awards

  • Complete your FAFSA. It’s required for Federal, State, the HOPE, and some UT awards like the Pledge scholarship. (Federal School Code is 003530.)
  • Accept or decline any awards in MyUTK.
  • Review awards for any outstanding requirements in MyUTK. Awards will not pay if requirements are not satisfied.
  • Complete your Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling if you are a new loan borrower. Loans will not pay until this is done.

HOPE Scholarship

  • List UT as your #1 school on the TSAC portal so the state of Tennessee knows to send your HOPE Scholarship to us. (Federal School Code is 003530.)
  • Did you take summer classes? The HOPE scholarship will not post to student accounts until summer course work is evaluated to determine continued eligibility.
    • Away from UT? Submit an official transcript to the Undergraduate Admissions Office for any course work completed this summer outside of UT.
    • Here at UT? Course work completed at UT this summer will be evaluated after final grades post for summer.

Set Up Your e-Refund

  • Quickly receive any e-refund from credit balances by direct deposit to your bank account.

Manage Your Records

  • Print your certificate of enrollment for companies requiring proof of your enrollment.
  • Manage FERPA access as needed.
  • Review your class schedule to know meeting times and locations, as well as instructors.

Graduate Students

When you’re admitted as a graduate student, the graduate school website guides you through your next steps.

Admitted Graduate Students