How Veterans Can Qualify for In-state Tuition

A change to Tennessee law allows veterans to qualify for in-state tuition and fees as long as you haven’t been dishonorably discharged from a branch of the US Armed Forces or the National Guard, and you’re eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits or Montgomery GI Bill benefits.

To be eligible, veterans must enroll within twenty-four months of the date of discharge as reflected on your certificate of release or discharge from active duty, Form DD-214, or an equivalent document.

Veterans will continue to qualify for in-state tuition and fees as long as you maintain continuous enrollment and, within a year of enrolling, demonstrate your intent to live in Tennessee by obtaining at least two of the following: a Tennessee driver’s license; a Tennessee motor vehicle registration; proof of established employment in the state; proof of voter registration; or other documentation approved by the UT Registrar’s Office and the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

If you have questions, please contact Jayetta Rogers at 865-974-1189 or